Shadows of the Rift
Hero Point Rules
Hero points are gained in multiple ways, but always at GM discretion. Below is an incomplete list of how you may earn Hero Points.
- Create an entry in the Adventure Log (from your Characters perspective)
- Do something Excessively Heroic in game.
- Stay true to your character even if your friends are against you (i.e., don't burn a magical piece of parchment).
Each player can have a wallet that contains no more than 3 Hero Points at any time.
Hero Points transfer from campaign to campaign.
How To Use Hero Points:
- Act out of Turn: You can spend a point to take your turn immediately. This is treated as a readied action, moving your initiative to just before the current acting creature. You may only take a "Move Action" or "Standard Action" on this turn.
- Bonus: On any d20 roll, add a luck bonus to the roll. If used before the roll add a +8 bonus to the roll. If used after the roll, the luck bonus is reduced to a +4. You may grant this bonus (reduced by half +4 before/+2 after) to an other player if you are in the same location and your character can reasonably affect the outcome of the roll )such as distracting the monster, shouting words of encouragement, or otherwise aiding another with the check).
- Extra Action: You can spend a hero point ton your turn to gain an additional "Standard Action" or "Move Action" this turn.
- Inspiration: If you feel stuck at one point in the adventure, you can spend a hero point and petition the GM for a hint about what to do next. If the GM feels that there is no information to be gained, no Hero Point will be spent.
- Recall: You can spend a Hero point to recall a spell you have already cast or to gain another use of a special ability that is otherwise limited. This should only be used on spells and abilities possessed by your character that recharge on a daily basis.
- Assistive Recall: This works in the same manor as recall with the exception you are spending 3 Hero Points to recall a spell or special ability for another player.
- Reroll: You may spend a Hero Point to reroll any one d20 roll you just made. You must take the results of the second roll, even if it is worse than the original roll.
- Cheat Death: A character can spend 2 Hero Points to cheat death. This may be used to prevent death from a critical blow that would kill the character or to prevent a to stabilize a character that is bleeding to death. This will leave the character stabilized but at negative hit points.
- Special: You can petition the GM to allow a Hero Point to ve used for just about anything that would normally be almost impossible. Such request are no guaranteed and will be considered in depth by the GM.